What is CMMI?
• The Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI) is a collection of best practices from leading engineering companies.
• It provides a model that you can base your company processes on.
The CMM Integration Project was formed to:
• build an initial set of integrated models
• establish a framework to enable integration of future models
• create an associated set of appraisal and training products
Source models serving as the starting point for CMMI were:
• SW-CMM (software), V2.0 Draft C
• EIA 632 (engineering)
• EIA/IS-731 (systems engineering)
• IPD-CMM (integrated product development), V0.98
Process improvement benefits fall into these general categories:
• improved schedule and budget predictability
• improved cycle time
• increased productivity
• increased customer satisfaction
• improved employee morale
• increased return on investment
• improved quality (as measured by defects)
• decreased cost of quality